SOI-MDI Stanford DSDS Browsers
Introduction and Overview
The Stanford Science Support Center (SSSC) is responsible for receiving,
ingesting, processing, cataloging, archiving and distributing the MDI and
spacecraft data from the SOHO spacecraft. The raw telemetry stream data as
received on the ground is distributed by Goddard Space Flight Center on CD
Roms. These data are ingested into the DSDS storage area and are
processed via the pipeline programs to different stages identified as
level-0, level-1, level-1.5 and level-2. Data are cataloged in the Oracle
database at each stage of the processing with one entry per dataset. In
addition to dataset information, the catalog database consists of tables
to hold dataseries information, epoch information and other details
pertaining to the DSDS system and Pipeline processes. Further FITS
Keywords Dictionary is also stored in the database. A detailed description
of the MDI Data Flow and Processing can be found in
- Description : The Data Naming Convention involves two
important terms, DataSets and DataSeries . It is important to note
the difference between these two. In general, a DataSet refers to all of
the images of a certain type for a given block (usually the block is the
block of time) and a DataSeries refers to all of the DataSets for the
whole mission. Each DataSet is described by a unique combination of
prog, level, series, series #, level #, prog #. Each DataSeries is
described by prog, level, series. For more detailed explanation
for the SSSC Naming Conventions refer to the MDI-Data Flow Document.
The Datasets Catalog consists of a number of tables in the Oracle
Database. The two main tables of interest are the DS_Naming table which
holds information about DataSeries and DSDS_Main which holds information
about DataSets. In the following the DataSet query form can be used to
query the Catalog for any prog, level, series, prog #, level #, series
# and it shows additional information about the size of the DataSet
in Bytes and T_First and T_Last. The DataSeries query form can be used to
query the Catalog for any prog, level, series and in addition it
shows Block (type of block), Ser_Type and Descriptions.
- DataSets Full Information from Selected Progs & Levels
- DataSets Full Information from Selected Progs & Levels w/Datasetnames
- DataSets with Maximum Level Number from Selected Progs & Levels
- DataSeries Query Form
- DataSets Full Information Query Page Without Drop_Down Menus
- Slow DataSets Full Information Query Page With Drop_Down Menus
- Slow DataSets with Maximum Level Number General Query Page.
- Description : DPC (Data Product Code) is a 4 byte parameter that
defines the type of data produced by the MDI instrument.
The rules for forming and decoding DPC's can be found in Tech Note
- DPC Query Form
to query the DPC table.
- dpdc - a data product decoder made by Rick Bogart to decode any DPC's according to the Rock Bush rules for DPC construction.
- Description :
FITS Keywords Dictionary is stored in the database table. The table consists
of a list of keywords to be used by the SOI project, their type, format, units,
category they belong to, defined by, source, short description and full
definition. The following reports and forms are used to query the Keywords
table in general and if there is a need to add new keywords then Oracle forms
screens should be used to enter them into the database.
- Keyword Query Form to query the Keyword table.
- Level-2 Keywords(Obsolete and exists for historical reasons).
For questions regarding SOI DSDS Browsers please send mail to webmaster.
Return to SOI Main Page